Tuesday 27 November, 2007

My Mecca in Portland

The name is "Powell's books", location - Portland downtown, no matter what I say, how well I might describe, you will have to see it, experience it to believe it! It should have a tag to it like the hindi cinemas, the board should read...

"POWELL'S BOOKS" - Book lover's Mecca

It is a 36,000 sft block.....as in, the building covers the entire block!pretty overwhelming for a non chain book store.

The entrance has a huge help desk with people ready to help, always smiling. Am sure the questions asked are so repetitive and yet the reactions so patient. The rooms, rather halls are named after colours...red, blue, orange, gold, etc...and each colour has about 2-3 categories of books.

If I could in a span of 3 days in Portland visit this store twice, I wonder how many times book lovers of Portland visit it!

More than the collection, its having used books as well which got me fascinated. Old books have a distinctive odour of their own, something that reminds me of my days of 'Enid Blyton' reading.

Powell's was one of the highlights of our Portland trip and glad we made it twice!
I would gladly suggest it to anyone anyone visiting portland, who is even remotely intrested in books to visit this amazing place.


PS: The annex, a coffee shop just adds more charm to it!

No comments: